Casework Frequently Asked Question’s (FAQ’s)

Q: The agency has denied my claim/application. Can you help me appeal the decision?

A: While my office can make an inquiry on your behalf about the status of a pending case, or for clarification on the reasons for a denial, it would be inappropriate for me to compel any agency to decide an issue in your favor, or to overturn a decision that is final.  You should first contact the agency for information on your appeal options if your case has been denied. 

Q: Can you help me expedite my claim or application with a Federal agency?

A: Each agency has set criteria for considering expedite requests.  You should first contact the agency/office where your claim or application is being processed directly to determine what is required for the agency to consider expediting your case.  If you have trouble contacting the agency, please send the request, along with the evidence showing a need for expedited attention, to my casework staff.  Please refer to the “Tips for Requesting Casework Assistance” for more information.  Please call my Fort Wayne office with any questions. 

Q: Can I request casework for a matter involving an agency under the jurisdiction of the State or County?

A: As a U.S. Representative, my staff has access to liaison offices for all U.S. Federal agencies.  For assistance with a non-federal agency or department, you should write to your representatives in the Indiana General Assembly, or contact the office of the Governor.  The staffers at these offices have more direct access to non-federal agencies and can better review your concerns and respond to your letter. 

Q: Can you help me with my legal case or court hearing? 

A: House rules prohibit me and my staff from giving legal advice or intervening in court proceedings.  If you are seeking assistance with a case that involves a lawsuit or that is pending litigation and you need help finding an attorney, please refer to the following organizations: The American Bar Association Correspondence Unit, (312) 988-5522 OR  the American Immigration Lawyers Association, for immigration cases. 

Q: Can you help me with predatory lending or a pending home foreclosure?

A:  Please go to the HUD website for tips on navigating the issue of predatory lending and/or foreclosures,  The best advice we can give in this area is to talk to a HUD Housing Counselor.  You can contact them at the HUD Housing counselor interactive voice response system number is 1-800-569-4287 or free telephone counseling is available 24/7 from the national HOPE hotline at 1-888-995-4673.

Q: Why do you need my complete Social Security number?

A: When my staff contacts a federal agency on your behalf, the congressional liaison at that agency will need to verify your identity and retrieve information connected to your case in order to address your concerns.  In most cases, the best way to verify your identity and to look up your case history is with your Social Security number.  For immigration cases, an alien registration number, receipt number or passport number is preferred.


Q: Where can I get information on federal grants?

A: Federal Grants are solely provided to assist non-profit organizations and are seldom used for personal use.  You may review the website to see if there are available federal funds for your organization.  Please feel free to contact your local economic development corporation that serves your county should you be seeking funds to start up a business.  Also, do not hesitate to contact my office if you are seeking a letter of support to accompany your grant application or need additional assistance on finding federal grants. 

Q.  How can I find a job with the federal government?

A: Constituents often contact my office inquiring about job opportunities within the federal government.  The official site for current federal jobs and employment information can be found at Users are able to search for federal job openings.

Q. How can my business sell products to the government?

A: Businesses often contact my office inquiring about selling their products to the government.  GSA provides centralized procurement for the federal government, offering products, services, and facilities that federal agencies need to serve the public. GSA offers businesses the opportunity to sell billions of dollars worth of products and services to federal agencies.

•For more information: GSA’s Federal Acquisition Service
•For new users: Help getting started on
•For federal agency buyers: How to buy through GSA
•For sellers/businesses: How to sell to the government